ALABAMA STATE OIL AND GAS BOARD
GOVERNING THE UNDERGROUND STORAGE OF GAS IN
TABLE OF CONTENTS
400-6-10-.01 Plugging And Abandonment Requirements
400-6-10-.01 Plugging And Abandonment Requirements. In the event there has not been any injection or withdrawal of gas from a storage well for a period of six (6) months, the storage well shall be plugged within thirty (30) days, unless said well has been classified as temporarily abandoned or shut-in pursuant to Rule 400-6-11-.01 or 400-6-11-.02. Before any work is commenced to plug and abandon a storage well the storage operator shall provide the Supervisor with the proposed methods and procedures to plug the storage well and abandon the storage cavity. Such method and procedure may be required in writing by the Supervisor. Also, the Supervisor may require that well records, including logs, be made available to determine if the proposed depths and lengths of plugs are adequate. Operations to plug and abandon a storage well shall not begin until approval of procedures has been obtained from the Supervisor. Unless otherwise allowed by the Supervisor, the operator shall notify the Supervisor at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the commencement of plugging operations so that said operation may be witnessed by an agent of the Board. The cement in all plugs shall meet American Petroleum Institute (API) standards and shall be mixed with water of adequate quality so as not to degrade the setting properties. Unless specified otherwise by the Supervisor, the operator shall comply with the following requirements which apply to all storage wells.
(1) The storage cavity shall be filled with water saturated to a brine concentration of ninety percent (90%) or greater.
(2) All suspended casing shall be removed from the storage well.
(3) A balanced plug shall be approved by the Supervisor and shall be placed in the production casing so that it is within the salt section near the roof of the storage cavity in order to isolate the storage well from the storage cavity.
(4) A permanent-type bridge plug shall be placed within one hundred fifty (150) feet above the cement plug in the production casing.
(5) The entire production casing shall be cemented from the top of the permanent-type bridge plug to the surface.
(6) All casing strings shall be cut off in such a manner so as not to interfere with soil cultivation and a steel plate at least one-quarter (1/4) inch thickness shall be welded to the casing stub(s).
Author: State Oil And Gas Board
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§9-17-1 et seq.
History: New Rule: Filed April 11, 2000; effective May 16, 2000.